How You Can Advocate for Israel
Many people have asked what they can do to help in this time of crisis. Here are a just a few ways to have an impact locally and help provide needed support for the citizens of Israel.
SPEAK OUT TO THE MEDIA
Read the newspaper, listen to the radio or watch television and respond. If information or an editorial opinion is inaccurate or unfair, contact the newspaper, magazine, radio or television station and explain the facts. If the information or opinion is positive, a letter to the editor will reinforce positive messages.
Click here for more suggestions on how to effectively speak out to the media and for a list of local and national media contacts. CAMERA
(Committee for Accuracy in
Middle East Reporting in America) is a media-monitoring organization
devoted to promoting accurate and balanced coverage of Israel.
SPEAK OUT TO THE GOVERNMENT
Your voice carries more weight in Washington than you might
think. Members of Congress pay a lot of attention to what their
constituents say; calls, emails and letters can influence a lawmaker’s
vote. The White House also closely tracks messages it receives from the
public. To carry the greatest weight, your message should be in your
own words rather than a “canned” message identical to dozens of others
arriving at the same time. Be concise, but try to combine your specific
request to the legislator with a personal statement of why Israel is
important to you.
for more suggestions on how to effectively speak out to government
officials and for contact information on your members of Congress and
the White House.
Tell them that Jews deserve a state of their own for self-defense
and to secure the Jewish future, and how you feel about unfair media
coverage and biased attitudes towards Israel.
SPEAK OUT TO YOUR FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS AND CO-WORKERS
SUPPORT THE JEWISH FEDERATION OF METRO DETROIT
Regardless of what the news media may say, the Israeli-Palestinian
conflict in the Middle East isn’t just about land. It is about Israel’s
right to exist, and about our right to exist as Jews. Palestinian
political and religious leaders repeatedly call for the death of all
Jews, wherever they live. Israel must spend more than half a billion
dollars each year to cover the cost of protecting herself. As a result,
social service systems will be stressed to the maximum. We can help
sustain these systems for our families and friends in Israel by giving
to the campaign.
Click here for information about giving to Federation.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
- Plan an Israel educational forum in your synagogue, Jewish or community organization. Contact the Jewish Community Relations Council's Speakers Bureau for assistance.
- Host an informal parlor meeting for non-Jewish colleagues and friends to talk about your support for Israel.
- Travel to Israel. Go there, and bring others with you.
- Invest in Israel. Buy Israeli stocks and bonds, and support philanthropic groups which provide assistance to Israel or Israelis.
- Pick up the phone and call an Israeli friend or relative to let them know they are not alone and that we are in solidarity with them.
- Begin a “pen pal” relationship with an Israeli in Detroit’s Partnership 2000 region in the central Galilee.
- Explore a business opportunity with or in Israel.