Welcome to Jewish Community Relations Council of Detroit
Your Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit, collaborating with the Jewish Federations of North America, the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, the Jewish Agency for Israel, etc. and the Israeli government, is declaring a necessary ISRAEL EMERGENCY FUND immediately to provide the nation with critical financial assistance. Click here to donate.
LEARN MORE ABOUT MANY ISSUES OF CONCERN TO THE ORGANIZED AMERICAN JEWISH COMMUNITY by visiting the website of the Jewish Council for Public Affairs (JCPA).
No front page content has been created yet.
JCRC defends Israel in the media
Letter to the editor, Detroit Free Press:
Hamas one to blame for Israeli strikes
Hamas has showed once again its commitment, not to the Palestinian people, but rather to the destruction of Israel at any price. The terrorist group rejected out of hand the cease-fire that Egypt brokered and that Israel immediately accepted. Nonetheless, Israel began observing the cease-fire at its scheduled start time and for five hours had to deal with Hamas rockets. After giving Hamas several warnings that Israel could not continue to passively endure attack after attack, Israel had no choice but to resume its actions to eliminate the Hamas weapons machine.
While those actions are planned to minimize the danger to Palestinian civilians, casualties are unavoidable because Hamas hides its rocket launchers, weapons caches and even leadership within the civilian population.
Israel can’t achieve the peace with its neighbors that it yearns for when those neighbors are wholly committed to destroying it.
Richard Krugel President, Jewish Community Relations Council of Metropolitan Detroit
2600+ rockets fired at Israeli towns in 3 weeks. What country would allow such attacks on citizens without responding?
Eleven facts your need to know about the fighting in Gaza.
1-Hamas controls a number of large, uninhabited areas in Gaza, but instead chooses to launch its missiles from within densely populated areas.
2-Hamas admits that at least 160 child laborers were killed digging its terror tunnels.
3-Hamas fighters dress up as women to disguise themselves as civilians.
4-Children as young as 13 and 14 years old have been used as suicide bombers in Gaza.
5-Hamas boasts of distributing thousands of grenades to Gazan youth to attack Israelis.
6-Hamas leaders use Shifa hospital as their headquarters, hiding behind civilian patients.
7-Since July 8, Hamas has executed more than 30 Palestinians for being alleged collaborators.
8-More than 200 missiles fired by Hamas and other terrorist groups have fallen inside Gaza this month.
9-Hamas diverted more than 800,000 tons of concrete from civilian projects to build its terror tunnels.
10-Despite the war, Israel still ships thousands of tons of humanitarian aid into Gaza each day.
11-In Gaza, most casualties have been men of fighting age.
[courtesy of Center for Israel and Jewish Affairs, Canada]
You should read this...
News, Op-Eds and Other Resources
Metro Detroit Jewish community says it backs Israel in fight against militants
by Niraj Warikoo, Detroit Free Press
As fighting continued unabated, about 1,500 people gathered at a Southfield synagogue Wednesday night to show their support for Israel as it battles militants in the Gaza Strip. Read full story
In Israel, who defines what is 'proportionate'?
by Berl Falbaum, Detroit News
No one has defined what they mean by “disproportionate” or “proportionality.” What is Israel to do? Should it purposely miss its targets to achieve proportionality? Should it let some missile, intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome defense system, fall on Israelis in order to suffer causalities? Read full story
Trouble Underfoot on an Israeli Kibbutz
Hamas Tunnels Prompted Invasion of Gaza
"This time, let Israel finish job"
by Nolan Finley, Detroit News
This time, the Israelis should break Hamas to pieces, destroy its ability to threaten Israeli civilians and bust its grip on Gaza, and for better or worse return the strip to control of the Palestinian Authority. Read full story
The current warfare between Hamas and Israel shatters several myths that have been accepted as gospel by many in the international community and the media
by Alan Dershowitz
Alan Dershowitz is a professor of law at Harvard University and the author of books about advocating for Israel. Read Full Story
Q. and A. With Outgoing Israeli President Shimon Peres
Published in the Washington Post Read Full Story
A letter to President Obama:
Published in The Jerusalem Post
Mr. President, Hamas must be stopped. For this to happen, the UN Human Rights Council must be stopped first. Someone has to stand up and tell the world the truth. That someone, Mr. President, ought to be you. Only you.
Because you are the only one they’ll believe. Read full story
Act now to defend Israel
Talk with your friends, neighbors and coworkers about the terror attacks on Israel and why it is responding as it is.
Keep these talking points in mind:
- Since Monday, July 7, Hamas terrorists in Gaza have indiscriminately fired several hundred rockets and mortars from Gaza into Israeli cities, targeting civilian populations in cities as far away as Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
- Israel’s response, targeting Hamas rocket launchers and terrorist tunnels, is intended to defend the security of its citizens by preventing these attacks.
- Israel goes to the greatest lengths to minimize Palestinian civilian casualties, but that is hard to do when Hamas puts its rocket launchers in or next to hospitals, schools and mosques.
- Before it attacks terror sites, it actually warns civilians to get clear of them. But Hamas puts its own people at risk, hiding among them and even using them as human shields.
- Israel’s actions in self-defense are completely understandable. Americans would demand the same from our government if missiles were falling on vulnerable U.S. population centers, such as across the Detroit River from Windsor, Ontario to Detroit.
- In 2014 thus far, Hamas and its terrorist partners in Gaza have fired more than 2,000 rockets at Israel. Millions of Israelis are being forced into bomb shelters, schools are closed, business is curtailed and public activities are canceled.
- In addition to countering rocket and mortar-fire from Gaza, Israel is also threatened by cross-border incursions from Hamas, including recently stopping an armed group that sought to infiltrate Israel from the sea.
- White House Spokesman Josh Earnest expressed concern, "We strongly condemn the continuing rocket fire inside of Israel and the deliberate targeting of civilians by terrorist organizations in Gaza. No country can accept rocket fire aimed at civilians and we support Israel's right to defend itself against these vicious attacks." Similarly, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned “the recent rocket attacks on Israel from Gaza.” He went on to say, “These indiscriminate attacks on civilian areas must stop.”
- The United States, along with the European Union, has designated Hamas a terrorist organization fueled by an extremist ideology and openly seeking the destruction of Israel.
- The increased sophistication and range of Hamas rockets is due to continued attempts by the Iranian regime to smuggle weapons to Hamas.
The only long term solution to this conflict is a negotiated, two-state solution that will allow Israel to live side-by-side in peace and security alongside an independent nation state of Palestine.